Go Back   Sports Trading Chatter Forums > Non-Sports > General Discussion

General Discussion If you couldnt find a place for it - it belongs here. Technology, cars, for sale ads, or anything else youd like to discuss

Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Administrator
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Todd73NJ Send a message via MSN to Todd73NJ Send a message via Yahoo to Todd73NJ
Default Windows XP Shut down/Start Up Problem

Having a Windows XP problem.. wondering if anyone has experienced this.

I have run Norton (paid subscription), Adaware, and Spy Sweeper - nothing turns on.

When my machin is on and running - if I attempt to shut it down correctly - Start/Turn Off - it freezes on the Saving your Settings screen. Ive left it there for as long as 30 minutes multiple times. At that point, when I power the computer down with the on/off button - on the next reload it freezes while loading up on the Windows XP screen. I then need to load up in safe mode, and do a system restore to whatever the prior day was. Then it boots up fine. But it will still not power off correctly the next time.

If while running, I power the machine off using the on/off button instead of powering it down using the correct procedure - it then boots up fine the next time.

Anyone know of what could possibly be going wrong? I had using the power button to shut the machine off - but I dont alwats have time to wait the restoration of the system.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Rookie

Cool Hope this helps!

Hi Todd,

Just read your post.

I have been experiencing some of the same symptoms that you describe . . . however, my OS is Vista Home Premium.

My screen will sometimes, seemingly random, freeze at the "Welcome" level, which occurs just after signing in and just before seeing the desktop.

I have had to set my spyware, registry cleaner, etc., programs to manual so that none of them conflict with each other . . . any program that claims to be monitoring your computer can seemingly conflict with another claiming to be doing the same thing.

Don't recall if XP comes with Windows Defender but Vista does . . . WD has an antivirus capability which can cause slow running or boot problems when run with Norton or other antivirus programs (FWIW, Norton is well known as one of the best antivirus programs but is a memory hog).

My initial research on my booting problem indicates that I may need a BIOS update . . . you should check the Microsoft Knowledge Base for XP relative to your problem.

Also, take a look at www.blackviper.com which offers OS services changes in order to speed up computers, esp. the startup process.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Administrator
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Todd73NJ Send a message via MSN to Todd73NJ Send a message via Yahoo to Todd73NJ

Thanks Cal, Im def going to check all those tips out!