Go Back   Sports Trading Chatter Forums > Sports > Boxing/MMA

Boxing/MMA Don't pull any punches here, just dicuss boxing, MMA or any other fight sports

Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Administrator
Rookie

Default Strikeforce (Sat night on Showtime)

Some picks for the Strikeforce event on Showtime Saturday June 5th. My highest confidence pick is Andrei Arlovski over Bret Rodgers. Rodgers is a leftover from the Elite XC events that ran on CBS. He's fat and lacks skill and is a product of that pure hype machine that made people think Kimbo was a fighter. He has a puncher's chance maybe, but Arlovski is a huge step up in his level of competition and should knock him out.

All that said, Arlovski will be -400 or so. Here are twp other picks on fights closer to even odds, in order of decreasing confidence:

Joe Riggs over Phil Jabroni - eh - Baroni. Both are on the downsides of their careers, but Jabroni is probably more of a has been and never was. He looked awful the last few times he has faced any sort of real competition. Best odds I see right now are at Bet Ed at -125.

Robbie Lawler over Jake Shields. This is a classic striker (Lawler) vs. grappler (Shields) matchup. I have little doubt that either man can dominate in his domain, so the real question is who controls where the fight goes. I think it's Lawler. Shields is moving up in weight for this fight and will be at a strength disadvantage. Lawler has decent takedown defense and Shields probably won't be effective enough on his feet to set up his takedowns. Bet Ed also has Lawler at -125.

Last edited by Jizay; 06-05-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Administrator
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Todd73NJ Send a message via MSN to Todd73NJ Send a message via Yahoo to Todd73NJ

Ill take all 3

Any picks for the other fights? Or are those the only 3?
Old 06-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Administrator
Rookie

Yikes - sorry guys, these picks are definitely slipping. Not surprised that Lawler didn't pull it off, but the Arlovski loss hurts.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Todd73NJ Send a message via MSN to Todd73NJ Send a message via Yahoo to Todd73NJ

Win some, lose some!