Go Back   Sports Trading Chatter Forums > Sports > Boxing/MMA

Boxing/MMA Don't pull any punches here, just dicuss boxing, MMA or any other fight sports

Old 05-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Rookie

Default Ufc 98

Again, too lazy to write a preview of the whole thing. Here are some thoughts on a few of the matchups:

Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra - This is a grudge match that should've happened a long time ago, but has been postponed due to injuries. Now, both fighters have lost their relevance in the welterweight title picture. That causes some uncertainty about how motivated particularly Hughes will be in what may be his last fight in the UFC. Still, I'm gonna take him at -275 or so. He's still a strong guy at welterweight with good wrestling, and he should smother the weaker Serra to a boring decision. Props on going the distance at 5d are interesting, too. This one has a great chance to go the distance.

Sean Sherk vs. Frankie Edgar - In some ways, this match is similar to the Hughes match. Sherk is a boring wrestler who is oversized at lightweight. Edgar is quite skilled, but could be overpowered in this one. I see Sherk also smothering his opponent to a 3 round decision, though this bet may not be as attractive because Sherk will go off at -330 or so. I also see this one easily going the distance.

Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida - This match is the headliner and perhaps the most interesting. Both fighters are undefeated in the UFC (Evans has a draw), and Machida, while not having fought quite as many quality opponents, has not yet lost a single round. Both fighters are also known for their elusiveness and ability to frustrate opponents. I will probably stay away from this one, but if forced to bet, Evans might be the way to go as an underdog at close to +200. You don't usually get odds like that on the champ. This is a 5 rounder, so a little less likely to go the distance usually, but both of these fighters are best on the counter attack, and both have been criticized before for not finishing fights. Another one that could easily go the distance.

Dan Miller vs. Chael Sonnen - What can I say? Sonnen sucks. I'll go with the favorite again at -185, though with a modest sized bet.